Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 62,927,541
  • Today: 9,362
Server InfoServer Info
  • Dec 13, 2017
  • 10:07 pm CST

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bill_Akins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thought I'd share my latest water & air cooled Ruger 10/22 stock build. This is my 3rd of three prototypes. This is semi auto, NOT full auto. It has the option of using a crankfire trigger activator so it can be crankfired like a Gatling gun.

This 3rd prototype is quickly convertible from truly water cooled to air cooled in about 30 seconds.

Although the final surface finish has not been applied yet, these pics give a good representation of how the convertible to air or water cooled stock will look when I finish it.

On my water cooled barrel jacket, I used a front sight of my own design that resembles a Browning 1917's hooded front post sight. On the rear I used a sight mount of my own design that holds and allows spring assisted raising of the WW1 Enfield rifle's ladder sight, that I have modified to enable to be used for windage in my sight mount. Works very well and looks historically representative of tripod machine gun's sights from that era my stock resembles.

This is my mockup of how the 1919a4 style front sight will look when in the air cooled configuration.

I decided to also be able to use AA spider sights on the air cooled model also as in these sight mockups I did here where the rear and front sight are not yet attached. Just to see how it would look....

Last night I made the quick removable rear ladder sight bracket. That once removed, will not have any unsightly threaded holes. So that I can mount the spider sights on the air cooled version when I remove the water jacket from the water cooled version. I realized that I could mill off the triangle on the right side of the rear sight bracket and just keep the triangle on the left side (like on a real Browning 1919) and still be able to secure the sight bracket without it having any kind of looseness or "rock" at all. All that is left to do with this sight bracket is to drill and tap the sight riser plate for the ladder sight's spring, and then to drill the sight protector "ears" and install a small diameter bolt through them and the ladder sight so I can effect windage. The 1917 Enfield rifle ladder sight I am using did not have the ability for windage. It was a flip up type only. So I tapped its pin hole where it flipped up, so it is threaded. The small diameter bolt I will put through it will enable me to turn the bolt to make the ladder sight travel left or right on the bolt, thus effecting windage. I left the sight protective "ears" a little higher than I needed until I mount the ladder sight's spring and the sight itself. Then I may be able to trim the “ears” down some maybe an 1/8th inch or so. So when you look at it now, the protective ears may look a little higher than they will eventually be. When I made them, I figured better to have them too high and be able to trim them after I finished mounting the sight and its spring, than to have made them too short. You can always trim metal, but it is hard to add when you have cut off.

Here's a link to a short video.
CLIP1314.ASF videos from good times videos on webshots

....and the latest pics of the rear sight bracket that does not have the ladder sight or front hooded post sight attached yet, with the water jacket mounted....

I did a little redesign on the bracket mount for the tripod. I think it looks better now than just the earlier bent piece of steel mount bracket it was. Much stronger too.

Just a few sight fabrications to do and final surface finishing. It's not finished yet, but getting very close.

SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Which magazine is that?
Rocbola
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think i am speaking for more than myself when i say: Nice! I want one! How many more can you build?
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

on a scale of 1-10 10 being high

it has a awsome ratting of 10 but a practical rating of 2

definatley a cool looking gun

nice

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
Bill_Akins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SiliconSorcerer wrote:
Which magazine is that?

The MWG 50 rd "teardrop" mag.

Bill_Akins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rocbola wrote:
I think i am speaking for more than myself when i say: Nice! I want one! How many more can you build?

Thanks very much. I plan to produce them. But first I need to get this final prototype finished. No eta yet on when they will be available or how much production costs or final cost will be yet.

Bill_Akins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

6010rocks wrote:
on a scale of 1-10 10 being high

it has a awsome ratting of 10 but a practical rating of 2

definatley a cool looking gun

nice

Thanks, (halfway anyway Lol). It isn't for hunting and it isn't for pinpoint sniping, it's for sheer Gatling style crankfiring, fun plinking at the range (or for zombie gopher attacks Lol). For that purpose, it is very functional and practical. Besides functionality and practicality, it is also a nice conversation and art piece.

SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bill_Akins wrote:
Rocbola wrote:

Thanks very much. I plan to produce them. But first I need to get this final prototype finished. No eta yet on when they will be available or how much production costs or final cost will be yet.

Your producing a "kit" for converting or a receiver?
I expect you know the second option quite some ordeal and often cost prohibitive.

Either way I YIKE it! Laughing

I've been experimenting with several designs on a double stack 22lr (that will fit in a normal grip) best luck so for track feed style but I just never can find the time to finish it, but the design works. Sort of like a thin tank track in a magazine.
sirbidwell
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wow nice work!
Bill_Akins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
"SiliconSorcerer" wrote:

I expect you know the second option quite some ordeal and often cost prohibitive.

No. no. I don't think you understand. There is no "converting" taking place. I would just be producing a dress up stock that the Ruger 10/22 receiver fits into. That is NOT a "conversion" of the firearm under the law.
That is just putting a different stock on it. Just like any other aftermarket stock. No modifying of the Ruger 10/22 receiver would be done in any way. The Ruger 10/22 receiver fits inside my fake receiver/stock.
Understand what I mean?

melensdad
Corporal
Corporal

Location: IN/ILL state line (IN side) at Will/Kankakee Counties & State Line

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Bill, I've been following your thread over on the INGO (Indiana Gun Owners) forums, nice to see you posting up here too.

I really love the idea as a simple fun way to add more play time to a 10/22 rifle. After the garden is harvested there is no reason for me to have a scoped 10/22 because I don't need it for critter control anymore . . . seems to me that pulling the scope, removing the stock and sliding it into your 'ma duce' stock assembly would make for some fun shooting at the backyard range. . . then when the garden is planted again next spring, reverse the process by removing it from your contraption, slipping on Ruger's finest birch slab Rolling Eyes topping it with the scope again and the 10/22 is a critter control unit again.

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bill_Akins wrote:
Quote:
"SiliconSorcerer" wrote:

No. no. I don't think you understand. There is no "converting" taking place. I would just be producing a dress up stock that the Ruger 10/22 receiver fits into. That is NOT a "conversion" of the firearm under the law.
That is just putting a different stock on it. Just like any other aftermarket stock. No modifying of the Ruger 10/22 receiver would be done in any way. The Ruger 10/22 receiver fits inside my fake receiver/stock.
Understand what I mean?

Yep that's a great solution. I've known several people who decided to produce their own firearm. One you have heard of, another who's been fighting the battle for at least 5 years now, and many who have said you've got to be crazy. I have a , if I say so myself, a neat design handgun I've made (still in brass) but for myself is as far as that goes.
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ramline makes 50 round mags for alot less than the tear drop guys at least they did 4 yrs ago not as cool looking but its an option

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like a blast. Get it, a blast. Wah wah wah wahhhhh.

Seriously, I love the water cooled mod.

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

6010rocks wrote:
ramline makes 50 round mags for alot less than the tear drop guys at least they did 4 yrs ago not as cool looking but its an option

You mean JamLine? Surprised
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic