ICarry.org  
 • Home • Downloads • Your Account • Forums • 
Navigation
Site Info v2.2.2
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 62,214,053
  • Today: 4,738
Server InfoServer Info
  • Oct 18, 2017
  • 11:35 am CDT
 
ICarry.org: Forums

 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 
Post new topicReply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
jknapp
Corporal
Corporal


Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 413
Location: decatur illinois

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a ? and i may have asked it before.
I know it is illegal to BUY a handgun under the age of 21. BUT i have been told that you can OWN one under the age of 21 as long as someone GIFTS it to you. is this true?
I've also read under the illinois laws that its only illegal to buy a handgun under 21 if youve been convicted of anything but a traffic ticket basically but as long as you're 18 and a law abiding citizen you can buy them. but then when you goi to the ill state police website it says... under 21 you cant buy a handgun. im confused.
and furthur more, i'm assuming that if we do get CCW/OCW then you'll have to be 21 to carry anyways. ill be 21 in august anyways so its not that big of an issue. Rolling Eyes

_________________
-jknapp

"Gun control means using both hands."

"Me and my gun, we took an oath together, said i'd never die, as long as we're together."
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal


Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Posts: 874

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can't buy until 21 but yes you can be "gifted" one at 18.
Who knows about carry until they pass something and what's in there...
View user's profileSend private message
JordanClark
Private
Private


Joined: Dec 03, 2009
Posts: 208
Location: LaGrange Park

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What silicon said.....kids start driving cars at 16......and damn if them things aren't dangerous!!!
View user's profileSend private message
JordanClark
Private
Private


Joined: Dec 03, 2009
Posts: 208
Location: LaGrange Park

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What silicon said.....kids start driving cars at 16......and damn if them things aren't dangerous!!!
View user's profileSend private message
TylerH
Member
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>


Joined: Dec 12, 2007
Posts: 4436

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I started driving at 12, where did you grow up?

_________________
"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it." Oliver Cromwell
View user's profileSend private message
KB9AMM
Member
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>


Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Posts: 329

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jknapp wrote:
I have a ? and i may have asked it before.
I know it is illegal to BUY a handgun under the age of 21. BUT i have been told that you can OWN one under the age of 21 as long as someone GIFTS it to you. is this true?
I've also read under the illinois laws that its only illegal to buy a handgun under 21 if youve been convicted of anything but a traffic ticket basically but as long as you're 18 and a law abiding citizen you can buy them. but then when you goi to the ill state police website it says... under 21 you cant buy a handgun. im confused.
and furthur more, i'm assuming that if we do get CCW/OCW then you'll have to be 21 to carry anyways. ill be 21 in august anyways so its not that big of an issue. Rolling Eyes


I'm not an Ill resident, but it is my belief that if you posses a FIOD card, you can get a gun & ammo. Do you have a FOID card?
View user's profileSend private message
SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal


Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Posts: 874

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KB9AMM wrote:
jknapp wrote:
I have a ? and i may have asked it before.
I know it is illegal to BUY a handgun under the age of 21. BUT i have been told that you can OWN one under the age of 21 as long as someone GIFTS it to you. is this true?
I've also read under the illinois laws that its only illegal to buy a handgun under 21 if youve been convicted of anything but a traffic ticket basically but as long as you're 18 and a law abiding citizen you can buy them. but then when you goi to the ill state police website it says... under 21 you cant buy a handgun. im confused.
and furthur more, i'm assuming that if we do get CCW/OCW then you'll have to be 21 to carry anyways. ill be 21 in august anyways so its not that big of an issue. Rolling Eyes


I'm not an Ill resident, but it is my belief that if you posses a FIOD card, you can get a gun & ammo. Do you have a FOID card?


Simply not correct, my oldest daughter had her FOID at 9 and I gifted her the first handgun on her 18th birthday. I don't believe there are any age restrictions on applying for a FOID.
View user's profileSend private message
jknapp
Corporal
Corporal


Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 413
Location: decatur illinois

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i have a foid

_________________
-jknapp

"Gun control means using both hands."

"Me and my gun, we took an oath together, said i'd never die, as long as we're together."
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
KB9AMM
Member
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>


Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Posts: 329

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, now the state should, somewhere, have listed the laws regarding what the FOID allows you to do and not do.
View user's profileSend private message
KB9AMM
Member
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>


Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Posts: 329

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm


I found this site, this may help.
View user's profileSend private message
KB9AMM
Member
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>


Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Posts: 329

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SiliconSorcerer wrote:
You can't buy until 21 but yes you can be "gifted" one at 18.
Who knows about carry until they pass something and what's in there...



How did you find this info out? Was there a web site or a place to call? or is it in print somewhere.
View user's profileSend private message
JordanClark
Private
Private


Joined: Dec 03, 2009
Posts: 208
Location: LaGrange Park

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TylerH wrote:
I started driving at 12, where did you grow up?



With a legit license I mean.....lol, not one from a captain crunch box.
View user's profileSend private message
jknapp
Corporal
Corporal


Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 413
Location: decatur illinois

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf
page 11 section 24-3
a person unlawfully sells a firearm which is of concealable size to someone under the age of 18.

it also goes on to say that it's unlawful to sell a firearm to anyone under 18 who doesnt have an FOID. does that mean someone with out and FOID can buy past age 21??? these laws contredict themselves.
page 12 section 224-3.1
a person unlawfully possesses a firearem which is of concealable size if under 18.

no where in here does it say you have to be 21 to own one unless you've been charged with a misdemeanor or anyother charge other than a traffic violation.

but if you go to another site(idnr) it says under state police section that under 21 its illegal to buy one.
now does this mean i cannot transport one as well?

_________________
-jknapp

"Gun control means using both hands."

"Me and my gun, we took an oath together, said i'd never die, as long as we're together."
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
gp100
Newbie


Joined: Mar 01, 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The other issue you will have is that you may have been gifted the pistol at 18 but won't be able to buy ammo for it till your 21 if memory serves me right.
View user's profileSend private message
RandyWhiting
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: Mar 23, 2010
Posts: 65
Location: Woodstock,IL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group
Page Generation: 0.14 Seconds
:: fisubsilver shadow phpbb2 style by Daz :: RavenNuke theme by www.nukemods.com ::