Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 43,398,898
  • Today: 3,806
Server InfoServer Info
  • Jul 13, 2014
  • 06:41 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello. First post on this site...

I have looked for over a hour on this site and several others and haven't found a straight answer.

I live in Central Illinois, outside the city limits but still in Peoria county. Can I carry a loaded pistol (Revolver) on myself in and outside of my house but on my property legally? I own my house and property, am over 30+ years of age, and have a current FOID card.

I have asked several people (gun shops) and most of them say they would and do.

If this post is already on this site, I apologize in advance.

Last edited by PeoriaGraphics on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
regulatedIllinoisan
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, you can conceal carry or open carry on your property or on other private property with permission from the owner. For example, ICarry has hosted two successful, well-publicized open carry events in Illinois on private property.

Disclaimer: Be aware that if you open carry you subject yourself to easily-scared neighbors who may call the police about a "man with gun." Police can harass you with some of their catch-all charges when they want to charge you with something but you haven't really broken any laws. For example, they could throw disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace/resisting arrest at you to see what sticks. Illinois is not a firearm friendly state, unfortunately.

You cannot conceal carry or open carry on public property or on someone else's private property without their permission.
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know I can carry on my own property, I am wondering if I can carry a "loaded" pistol.

Thanks for that quick reply too.
ShaunKranish
Executive Director
Founders Club
Executive Director<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, the law allows you to carry in your home, property, abode, dwelling. Many of us do this on a regular basis, some even open carry. We have also been utilizing this to hold our Illinois Open Carry events Very Happy

We have had a couple events with hundreds of attendees, many (or most) of whom open carried during the event. These events were held on private property with permission of the land owner, and we were invited to carry there. It's a start!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow..Thanks guys! I found a few other websites dedicated to Illinois for gun laws, but this one takes the cake.

I really appreciate the insight on my question.

See, I live outside the city, and lately there have been a few houses broken into in Lake Camelot (Mapleton) and even though I live a few miles from there (still in Mapleton) but kind of out in the country with a few neighbors, I'd really like to be able to legally carry loaded on my own property because the time for police to show up if needed is a little longer than normal. Not much, but being that I'm a disabled Army combat veteran (2003 OIF), I am a strong supporter in our 2nd amendment and would like to utilize my rights for not only protection, but also because I can.

Now too bad I can't get my wife to appreciate firearms and not be gun shy....but that's an issue for another day and a miracle worker...lol.

Oh, just to throw this out here, I'm a graphics/web designer and I just recently designed a website for a fairly new local gun shop in Peoria (www.AmericanFirearmsandAmmo.com) and they will be having the Utah Conceal Carry class in a couple months. I'm not sure the exact date yet but I go in there every week to buy more "stuff" and know the owners. If you guys want me to post the date, time, place, and cost, I would be more than happy to when I find out.

Thanks again guys!
MichaelChappell
Founders Club
County Coordinator
Piatt County
<b>Founders Club</b><br />County Coordinator<br><b>Piatt County</b>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PeoriaGraphics wrote:
I know I can carry on my own property, I am wondering if I can carry a "loaded" pistol.

Thanks for that quick reply too.

Here is what everyone is saying but not in the words that I think that you are looking for... You can LEGALLY carry a LOADED handgun in a concealed manner or openly on your own property or on other privately owned property with the owner of that property's permission.

Hope the clears the water a lot for you. I do openly carry on my own property, openly, due to my proximity to a rough bar in my town that has no police force.

Remember, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"!!

Gun Owner
Voter
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Haha! Thanks again! You guys are awesome....
JTHunter
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PeoriaGraphics - What regulatedIllinoisan said in their disclaimer is very accurate!
Last fall, I was sitting in my carport, cleaning my new .22 Mag rifle after sighting in the scope. Guess who shows up! Sheriff's office had gotten a "MwaG" call, so they had to check it out. I had to get up off of the floor, get my FOID, waste 30 minutes, etc., Etc., ETC.!
I did tell the deputy one thing that caused him to chuckle - I knew it wasn't one of my neighbors as most of them around here know I have guns. It ALSO had to be somebody who knows little about guns as they were broken down for cleaning.
In other words, a cowardly "busy-body".

Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahh. Hopefully it won't come down to that. But I am always prepared if the time comes. I always carry my FOID card on me.

Thanks for all the info guys!
VannDaddy
Private
Private

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm definitely interested in more info! Myself and some of my coworkers were looking at going to a Utah class, about 4 or 5 guys, maybe more. Please keep us up to date. Thanks!
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@VannDaddy,

I will let you know the exact date once I find out from the owner. But it will be in Peoria, North University (North of Pioneer Park). I will also post in the proper section the full details when I find out.
TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I OC on my property every day. While that doesn't mean much in the winter, I do it even in the warmer months in view of all of my neighbors. None of them have said anything, and no one has called the police on me yet.

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TylerHooker wrote:
I OC on my property every day. While that doesn't mean much in the winter, I do it even in the warmer months in view of all of my neighbors. None of them have said anything, and no one has called the police on me yet.

Same here!! Although much of the time I CC. It all depends on the mood I'm in!!! The situational awareness of most of the population is almost non-existent today.
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome man!
TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just find OC to be much more comfy.

When I get home I open the safe, take off my container, place it in the safe, grab by G19 (that's already in a Serpa holster), and thread it onto my belt. Done and done.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic