Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 44,769,889
  • Today: 3,685
Server InfoServer Info
  • Oct 23, 2014
  • 05:59 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RobR369

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I went to Willow Slough for the first time ever today. I would recommend it, to anyone looking for a rifle or shotgun range. No Handguns for Illinois residents, unless you possess a valid carry permit(PA,NH,Utah, Florida..etc), then you are able to shoot handguns, and anyone with you can also. They are able to shoot off of your permit, kinda like Illinois gun ranges with FOID cards. Nice place, with alot of friendly people willing to share stories, or just shoot the S**t. Oh and another thing I almost forgot to mention is, its free..lol
melensdad
Corporal
Corporal

Location: IN/ILL state line (IN side) at Will/Kankakee Counties & State Line

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Indiana has an odd handgun transport law, which may explain why so many Hoosiers have gotten carry licenses.

That said, I'm curious if a Ranger said that handguns are not allowed by Illinois residents? Or if there is a sign posted? I've got my own range in my back yard over the soybean field so I have not shot at Willow Slough in many years.

I ask because I would expect that the FEDERAL SAFE TRANSPORT laws regarding guns should (?) apply to Illinois residents who bring in handguns to an Indiana range. BUT those same laws would not protect a Hoosier!
savage3306
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

this is the one that is off of 41 right? if so can you gimme an address or directions ...or can i find it using google ?Smile ive been meaning to get to that one just dont know where it is and had forgotten the name :O
RobR369

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

savage3306 wrote:
this is the one that is off of 41 right? if so can you gimme an address or directions ...or can i find it using google ?Smile ive been meaning to get to that one just dont know where it is and had forgotten the name :O

Yes, Savage, its the one off of 41, I dont have exact address, all you have to do is google it. Little advice though, follow signs to shooting range, my GPS had me going down some dirt road..lol.. Let me know when you are going, maybe I will try to meet you up there. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays and open from I believe its 8am-4pm the other 5 days

Also, the range officer is the one who informed me about handguns, he in turn is also the one who said as long as you have carry permit(honored by Indiana) its ok to shoot handguns.
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

what does a ccw permit have to do with being able to practice at a range im confused.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
RobR369

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

6010rocks wrote:
what does a ccw permit have to do with being able to practice at a range im confused.

Simple... Its called Stupid Gun Laws!!!!! Rolling Eyes
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

RobR369 wrote:
6010rocks wrote:

Simple... Its called Stupid Gun Laws!!!!! Rolling Eyes

there's no such thing as stupid gun laws. in order for there to be stupid gun laws there would have to be smart gun laws.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
MichaelChappell
Founders Club
County Coordinator
Piatt County
<b>Founders Club</b><br />County Coordinator<br><b>Piatt County</b>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds like a nice place. I have a Farmer friend that allows me to shoot on his property. A little help with planting and harvesting each year and I get free range on all his property to hunt, fish, or shoot.

I like ranges, cause it's easier to police my brass, but the one's around my town are all gun clubs with huge fees to join. I may bite the bullet now though, because I want to have a nice spot to sight in my slug gun each year. Oh well, what's a Backwoods boy to do??!!

Gun Owner
Voter
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
savage3306
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

who wants to go on weds this week
Question
MichaelChappell
Founders Club
County Coordinator
Piatt County
<b>Founders Club</b><br />County Coordinator<br><b>Piatt County</b>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would but I will be in Southern IL Turkey Hunting.

Gun Owner
Voter
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
RobR369

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

savage3306 wrote:
who wants to go on weds this week
Question

I have to work Wednesday, Friday might be the earliest I could make it there.
KentVanderploeg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just got back from a camping trip at Willow Slough. I did not visit the range, but it was nice to be able to carry all weekend, and do so completely legally. It's a pretty nice campground and very laid back.

Kent
Jessy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

6010rocks wrote:

Indiana doesn't have a conceal carry permit. Only a (read off the top of my card) LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN

Indiana doesn't say -how- you -have- to carry it, but prefer you conceal it.

Kinda like Ill anoy's foid card... with a serious kick!
melensdad
Corporal
Corporal

Location: IN/ILL state line (IN side) at Will/Kankakee Counties & State Line

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jessy wrote:
6010rocks wrote:

Indiana doesn't have a conceal carry permit. Only a (read off the top of my card) LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN

Indiana doesn't say -how- you -have- to carry it, but prefer you conceal it.

Kinda like Ill anoy's foid card... with a serious kick!

Correct, Indiana doesn't issue permits, we issue a license and it is to carry. Not specified how to carry.

As for the need to have one at the range, that is because while Indiana has very good gun laws, our transport law is actually pretty restrictive for handguns. If you have a handgun and want to transport it in this state you can take it from the gunshop to your home, from your home to your business or to a gunsmith. That is pretty much it. If you want to take your gun to a gun range you actually need a license to transport, there are a couple different licenses we issue, most people just get the "unlimited personal protection" license because it covers pretty much any circumstance.

So if you are from IL and want to transport into the state that is legal under the FEDERAL safe transport laws, but not under Indiana laws. The Federal law requires the gun be legal at the point of origin (presumably your home) and your point of destination. The range is off limits because the DNR says so, so therefore under the Federal laws the transport is not legal to the range. Its really pretty odd. For a state that has such good laws for residents, that honors every other state's carry license/permit, we don't allow you to transport a legal handgun to a range. I don't get it.

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

RobR369 wrote:
I went to Willow Slough for the first time ever today. I would recommend it, to anyone looking for a rifle or shotgun range. No Handguns for Illinois residents, unless you possess a valid carry permit(PA,NH,Utah, Florida..etc), then you are able to shoot handguns, and anyone with you can also. They are able to shoot off of your permit, kinda like Illinois gun ranges with FOID cards. Nice place, with alot of friendly people willing to share stories, or just shoot the S**t. Oh and another thing I almost forgot to mention is, its free..lol

I agree, this is a very nice range to target practice. Not only can your shoot your firearms but you can also shoot your bow, if your so inclined.

The last time I was there, which was about two years ago, I asked the range officer if Illinois residents were prohibited from using a handgun at the range. He said he had no problem with an Illinos resident using a handgun but if the sheriff came by and asked to see a carry permit that person may have to surrender his handgun.

I now possess a PA carry license for this reason and I'll be visiting Willow Slough more often. BTW, I got my PA license after having read the post Pennsylvania permit - $26.00 - 5 years - no training req.

Oh, one other thing, unless there has been a recent change, the hours are 9-5, Tuesday thru Sunday. 9-4 during winter months.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic