Site Info v2.2.2
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 45,782,516
  • Today: 7,922
Server InfoServer Info
  • Dec 19, 2014
  • 06:51 am CST

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
taylormade26

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Newbie hear just getting into gun ownership. I know about the law on the melting point on firearms,but is there any other requirements/laws I should know about to have a legal firearm. The reason Im asking is there are a couple different guns on gunbroker.com that I like and some sellers say they wont ship to Illinois.
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the melting point law only applies to replicas( toy guns), has nothing to do with actual firearms
taylormade26

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont believe you are right on that. I found this online

Firearms Laws for Illinois
A synopsis of state laws on purchase,
possession and carrying of firearms.
Compiled by:
NRA-Institute for Legislative Action
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
(800) 392-8683
www.nraila.org

It is unlawful for a dealer to sell any handgun “having a barrel, slide,
frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous
metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than
800 degrees F.
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok but i do know there is an opposite law which requires toy guns to melt at a temp no greater than 800.

we are both right in this case
Madchemguy
Private
Private

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What is the reason for this law? Safety??
TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Madchemguy wrote:
What is the reason for this law? Safety??

Being as IL is pretty much Hell for gun owners this law helps to ensure that guns brought into this hell won't melt. What good would it be to buy a firearm, have it shipped to IL, only to melt when you go to pick it up?

Twisted Evil

Private
Private

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The way I understand your question, you are asking if Illinois has some sort of special gun restrictions that apply to the firearm itself that other states don't have. You are asking because some gunbroker.com sellers won't sell to IL. The answer is no. In my opinion, some sellers just don't want to deal with IL. in fear of the gun ending up in Chicago and being used in a crime. Then having to deal with the rath of mayor Daley. Some sellers just don't like IL. period. If I was a seller from another state, I probably wouldn't sell to Il. either, just out of spite.
regulatedIllinoisan
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are Illinois-specific limitations like no machine guns, no shotguns of barrel length of less than 18", no rifles of barrel length of less than 16", no long guns of total length of less than 26", several cities have magazine size restrictions....

Quote:
It is unlawful to possess any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16" in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18" in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Quote:
It is illegal to sell, manufacture, purchase, possess, or carry a machine gun or a short-barreled rifle or shotgun.

Quote:
Aurora
(§ 29 49) bans the possession, sale, or acquisition of large capacity feeding devices
(magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds).

Chicago
(§ 8 20 030(i) and 8 24 025) bans the transfer, acquisition or possession of assault
ammunition (any ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 12 rounds).

Franklin Park
(§ 3 13G 3) bans the transfer, acquisition, possession, manufacture or distribution of assault
ammunition (any detachable ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 16
rounds).

Oak Park
(§§ 27 2 1 and 27 1 2) bans the possession and sale of large capacity feeding devices
(magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds).

Riverdale
(§ 5.120.180 and 5.120.190) bans the possession, transfer, acquisition or manufacture of
assault ammunition (a detachable magazine box with a capacity of “more than 35 rounds
centerfire.”)
Madchemguy
Private
Private

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe they need to be more durable as not to be damaged in the sh!t storm of BS Chicago politics...

Yes, some ammo dealers will not ship to IL so they do not have to deal with the FOID BS. I don't see why they would not ship FA's to an FFL though. That is a federal regulation for firearms transfers - not state (well, not yet anyway).
taylormade26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks everyone for your input. I finally did get ahold of the Illinois State Police Firearm Division and told me there is no specifics I need to really worry about. I was really just wanting to know in particular about maximum magazine capacity or any sizes for a particular caliber of firearm(like a really small sized 9mm or .40)I have tried calling them a million times and the wait time is always like 30 minutes, so I just hang up. So other than watching out for the so called "Saturday Night Specials" melting point of 800, anything is legal here in IL.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic