Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 62,572,162
  • Today: 2,553
Server InfoServer Info
  • Nov 18, 2017
  • 04:02 am CST

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jknapp
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That means i need a home defense gun. only thing is, i've got around 200 bux to play with. so, if you guys have any guns you would only want a couple hundred for it'd be appreciated!

"Gun control means using both hands."

"Me and my gun, we took an oath together, said i'd never die, as long as we're together."
NapalmMan67
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mossberg Maverick 88. Brand new you can get them just a tad over $200 I believe.

SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The best and most affordable home defense is a pistol grip shotgun with low-recoil 8-9 shot 00 buck (for example Winchester Ranger) and for this I would find a used Mossburg 500. If you can get it up to $300 you can probably buy one new, I'd go to gunbroker and put in "JIC" I've seen them sell very close to $300, I've purchased 3 of them for around that price.
You might also be able to find a Remington 870 tactical express but I don't it come as quite as cheap, it's unquestionable a better shotgun but more $.
TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I personally don't recommend a shotgun for home defense. Sure it's cheap, but you'll end up buying a psitol or rifle anyway. Why? Because t's pretty darn impossible to find places in Illinois to shoot a shotgun with buckshot at targets. Most ranges around me won't allow it, so you get ZERO training. Plus, shot shells are expensive. A reliable 9mm semi or 357 revolver are your best bet. With high quality defensive loads you have real man stoppers, and ey are cheap enought to train with.

IMHO

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm with Tyler.

I have and prefer a decent DA revolver for home defense.

If you can not stop an intruder with 5, 6 or 7 rounds of .38 special +P or .357 Magnum you are out numbered anyway.

If you can only afford one gun it should be a .357 Magnum revolver.

Interesting side note........

My wife has always wanted a pistol grip 12 gauge, like in the movies.
Our range officer quickly dispelled any chance of that happening when he told her that they send at least 2 people a year to the emergency room for busted lips and missing teeth.

You want a pistol grip buy a pistol.

In an emergency situation I want a gun that I am comfortable with.

That would be my S&W revolvers.

One hand operation. If by chance it does not fire just pull the trigger again.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Anything is better than nothing.
TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A pistol grip on a rifle is ok, or on a shotgun with a stock.

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well hate to say it but he said he wants something for HOME DEFENSE.
What I described is unquestionable the #1 most recommend solution by all experts in the field.
Name one handgun with more of a one-shot stop effectiveness, less wall penetration, and little in the way of aiming/skill required in possible darkness.
Trigger
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fortunately we all all experts in our own minds.

Again, this is MY opinion, and I am the only expert on me.

I am far more comfortable shooting my S&W revolver than I would be a pistol grip shot gun.

I can walk in the yard with my revolver in my pocket, or the garage, it sleeps under my pillow with me.
Can't really do that with a shot gun too well, at least I cannot.

The one thing that is most important is BULLET PLACEMENT. A cool, deliberate marksman with a .380 will beat a panicky, inaccurate man with a shotgun.

Whatever firearm and caliber you select, you are best served firing hundreds of rounds in realistic defensive scenarios until you can confidently make disabling hits on your target. To me that is far easier with a revolver than a shot gun.
I can shoot 100 rounds of .38+P without tiring, not so sure about 100 of of 12 gauge.

Tactics and marksmanship win gunfights - not having the biggest bang.

With the self defense rounds they have now you do not have to worry about over-penetration.

Get whatever you are comfortable with. We have a little of everything and I like the revolver in most scenarios.

Now if it's Zombie home defense, well then we go to this.......

Laughing

Seriously, whatever you choose, practice is the most important thing you can do.

One thing that we can all agree on is hoping that you never have to find out how well prepared you are.
TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ugh, an AK. Not my friend for a zombie horde. Give me something with long range firepower and precision. An AR platform in Grendel or something would suit me well.

Shotguns are nice, but if you can't train with it you are at a distinct disadvantage.

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TylerH wrote:
Ugh, an AK. Not my friend for a zombie horde.

I hear ya!

But we are talking Zombies here...... Laughing
TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hence why I want to engage them at range.

Justin, see my facebook response to your wuestion

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll settle this argument now. if you are shooting zombies you want to be far enough away where they can't determine or see where the sound came from.

granted sence they are undead I doubt they could tell from a few yards but why take the chance go for the long distance.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
DownhomeCharley
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I like a shotgun myself, but I prefer slugs over buckshot. I don't understand people getting a busted lip or missing teeth from using a shotgun with a pistol grip. A shotgun equipped with a pistol grip is NOT meant to be fired from the shoulder!!!! DUH!!! I prefer a good solid stock because if someone gets too close to me, I want to be able to break a jaw or relieve them of their teeth!
Trigger
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DownhomeCharley wrote:
I don't understand people getting a busted lip or missing teeth from using a shotgun with a pistol grip.

Speculating here but I would guess that many of the pistol grip shot guns are purchased by inexperienced shooters not familiar with the psychics of what happens when it goes boom. Real life is not always like the movies.

At least that is my opinion based on the things I have seen.

Sometimes gun ranges can be similar to boat launch ramps, a very entertaining place!
TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You mean I can't fire full auto from the hip and kill all the bad guys?

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic