Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 58,360,445
  • Today: 5,370
Server InfoServer Info
  • Feb 19, 2017
  • 08:17 am CST

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JoeFranzese
President
Founders Club
County Coordinator
Lake County, IL
President<br /><b>Founders Club</b><br />County Coordinator<br><b>Lake County, IL</b>

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BELLEVUE, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Second Amendment Foundation has filed suit in federal court in Illinois, challenging the state’s complete prohibition on the carrying of firearms in public for the purpose of self-defense.

The lawsuit alleges that Illinois statutes that completely ban the carrying of handguns for self-defense are “inconsistent with the Second Amendment.” Joining SAF are two private citizens, Michael Moore of Champaign and Charles Hooks of Percy. Named as defendants are Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan and State Police Superintendent Patrick Keen. SAF is represented by attorneys David Jensen and David Sigale. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois.

“Illinois is currently the only state in the country that imposes a complete prohibition on the carrying of firearms for personal protection by its citizens,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. “The state legislature recently stopped, by a thin margin, a concealed carry measure. After the 2008 Heller ruling and last year’s McDonald ruling against the City of Chicago that incorporated the Second Amendment to the states, one would think that Illinois lawmakers would act quickly to comply with court decisions and the constitution.”

“Illinois is the only state in the country that completely prohibits its citizens from carrying guns for self-defense,” Jensen added. “It is incredible that this situation has persisted even in light of the Supreme Court’s rulings in Heller and McDonald, and we look forward to vindicating the rights of the people of Illinois.”

The lawsuit insists this case is not an attempt to force Illinois into some regulatory scheme, but only to clarify that the state’s current regulatory ban on firearms carry is impermissible under the Second Amendment.

“Every other state has some kind of regulatory scenario,” Gottlieb noted. “Even in Wisconsin, where there is no concealed carry statute, the state attorney general has recognized that open carry is legal. Only Illinois makes it statutorily impossible for average private citizens to carry firearms for self-defense.

“Whether Illinois lawmakers like it or not,” he added, “the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is the law of the land. A complete prohibition simply does not pass constitutional muster. The state cannot stick its head in the sand and pretend this problem does not exist..”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

EXEC. COORDINATOR FOR ICARRY, LAKE COUNTY ILLINOIS
DownhomeCharley
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've met many decent and nice folks since I came to Illinois but ya'll ( we ) seem to be at the mercy of some of the dirtiest politicians in the nation as well as being outnumbered by "rats". The kind of rats who gave Nobama his political start and created a real monster. I believe that we can and will win because we have superior minds, determination, and old fashioned guts!
gp100

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

See the mob was never really crushed in Illinois, they just became Democrats! They now exercise the same power they did in the 20's and 30's, it is just under pretext of politics. I mean honestly where else in the country could a mayor bulldoz an airfield in the middle of the night without approval? Or a governor get elected by 3 counties? The Illinois political machine is nothing but a throw back to the days of Al Capone without all the shootings.

Last edited by gp100 on Sat May 14, 2011 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is that our michael moore?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

in the sense of not being a bloated overly liberal spewer of hate and untruths..... then ya. Razz
FRANKIEZAZA

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have, what I think is a very interesting question.
What if we can come to terms with say a mayor or congressman way out of the way from shitcago, and convince him to make us aldermen, ( say for a fee ) , since aldermen from shitcago can legally carry I cant see how this wont work.
SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

FRANKIEZAZA wrote:
I have, what I think is a very interesting question.
What if we can come to terms with say a mayor or congressman way out of the way from shitcago, and convince him to make us aldermen, ( say for a fee ) , since aldermen from shitcago can legally carry I cant see how this wont work.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but Cicerro (sp?) at one time had hundreds of auxiliary police so the connected people could carry. They just told them whatever you do, don't play policeman.
MichaelChappell
Founders Club
County Coordinator
Piatt County
<b>Founders Club</b><br />County Coordinator<br><b>Piatt County</b>

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Question --- I am a Village Board Member(very similiar to an Alderman), so does that mean I can carry?? I have looked for an exception all day but can't find one that allows board members or Aldermen to legally carry.

A little help would...help!! LOL

Gun Owner
Voter
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
paulkucz
Founders Club

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not positive, but I think that it is a Chicago law/ordinance that makes Chicago Alderman "Conservators of the Peace" which is how they justify their ability to CC.
FRANKIEZAZA

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

this is exactly what i am saying. find some small town, pass an ordinance to allow aldermen to carry, then, (for a modest fee ) make anyone who wants to be an " alderman ", thus legally be allowed to carry. if shitcago can do it, why then cant other cities or towns do it.
Danielm60660
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it would be key that the alderman are called "conservators of the peace" by law in these municipalities, so you get some LEO authority. Of course, there would be the requisite training, etc.
Also, in IL I think only full time LEOs get carry privileges? Honestly, I doubt this idea will work, I mean wouldn't you have to get elected? Also, how many aldermen can a small town have? I do see where you're going, but I'm thinking the technicalities would kill it.
DM[/b]
NakPPI
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(65 ILCS 5/3.1‑15‑25) (from Ch. 24, par. 3.1‑15‑25)
Sec. 3.1‑15‑25. Conservators of the peace; service of warrants.
(a) After receiving a certificate attesting to the successful completion of a training course administered by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board, the mayor, aldermen, president, trustees, marshal, deputy marshals, and policemen in municipalities shall be conservators of the peace. Those persons and others authorized by ordinance shall have power (i) to arrest or cause to be arrested, with or without process, all persons who break the peace or are found violating any municipal ordinance or any criminal law of the State, (ii) to commit arrested persons for examination, (iii) if necessary, to detain arrested persons in custody over night or Sunday in any safe place or until they can be brought before the proper court, and (iv) to exercise all other powers as conservators of the peace prescribed by the corporate authorities.
(b) All warrants for the violation of municipal ordinances or the State criminal law, directed to any person, may be served and executed within the limits of a municipality by any policeman or marshal of the municipality. For that purpose, policemen and marshals have all the common law and statutory powers of sheriffs.
(Source: P.A. 90‑540, eff. 12‑1‑97.)

(720 ILCS 5/2-13) (from Ch. 38, par. 2-13)

Sec. 2-13. "Peace officer". "Peace officer" means (i) any person who by virtue of his office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for offenses, whether that duty extends to all offenses or is limited to specific offenses, or (ii) any person who, by statute, is granted and authorized to exercise powers similar to those conferred upon any peace officer employed by a law enforcement agency of this State.

For purposes of Sections concerning unlawful use of weapons, for the purposes of assisting an Illinois peace officer in an arrest, or when the commission of any offense under Illinois law is directly observed by the person, and statutes involving the false personation of a peace officer, false personation of a peace officer while carrying a deadly weapon, and aggravated false personation of a peace officer, then officers, agents, or employees of the federal government commissioned by federal statute to make arrests for violations of federal criminal laws shall be considered "peace officers" under this Code, including, but not limited to all criminal investigators of:

(1) the United States Department of Justice, the

Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency and the Department of Immigration and Naturalization;

(2) the United States Department of the Treasury, the

Secret Service, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Customs Service;

(3) the United States Internal Revenue Service;

(4) the United States General Services Administration;

(5) the United States Postal Service;

(6) all United States Marshals or Deputy United

States Marshals whose duties involve the enforcement of federal criminal laws; and

(7) the United States Department of Defense.

(Source: P.A. 94-730, eff. 4-17-06; 94-846, eff. 1-1-07; 95-24, eff. 1-1-08; 95-331, eff. 8-21-07; 95-750, eff. 7-23-08; 95-1007, eff. 12-15-08.)
FRANKIEZAZA

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

it sounds like your spliting hairs.
" conservators of the peace ", aldermen ", whatever.
what i am saying is, if we could find a small town, that has strong 2nd ammendment beliefs, and would like the added income, and wouldnt mind the spotlight, is it possible?. yes there would be training, ( same as concealed carry would also, and who says there is a limit on aldermen, or conservators of the peace. all i am asking is this a way around the bull crap we get from, not having concealled carry, dictated by the crooks in the shitcago area. is this possible? someone with this kind of knowledge surely must know.
Diver
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

you should try the 'Auxiliary Police' (a la Cicero) route, might be more feasible than alderman's, since you can probably have more of those without suspicion. 10+ alderman for a small town of 800 might look a little awkward..lol

TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The auxiliary police by me can only carry when in unifo
Rm and under the direct supervision of a full time officer. It might be different by you though.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic